I love collards

August 24, 2009

I love to ask folks around me about how they cook their collards. (not everyone does, you know) They have to be SOUTHERN! I listen and smile and nod my head but I have made a personal commitment to ONLY cook collards like my Nana. She lives in Alabama and I have yet to make them just as she does. (yes, I realize they will NEVER be exactly the same... Nana's are always best, I know)

However, I am going to make another attempt this week. I made a list for the grocery store which consisted of

1. lots of collards
2. bacon
3. ham (for ham hock)

I plan on going all out and trying my very best. You see, I want to LIVE off collards. I know I could. I'm very serious.

During my collards search on google I found out these nice little {Southern facts} about my favorite food in the world. {via Wikipedia}

... "staple vegetable of southern US cuisine and soul food" {my beloved Alabama, DUH}

... obviously edible but also used as a garden ornamental mainly in Brazil, Portugal, Southern United States, parts of Africa, Montenegro, Spain and in Kashmir.

... healthy food {minus the fat I'll be adding} Vitamin C, anti-cancer properties

... and get a load of this: "collard greens is a potent modulator of the innate immune response system with potent anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-cancer activity."

... typical seasonings {yes, please!!} ham hocks, pork neckbones, fatback or other fatty meat


My mouth is watering...

If you cook collards please humor me and tell me how you prepare this delicacy. I'd love to know. But keep in mind,

Nana's are best.

No comments: